Emplyment Info for Parents

Getting a Job


Any student who is enrolled in a degree-seeking program at Northeastern University is eligible to work

Job Types

  • Work-Study (for students who have received work-study funding as part of their financial aid package)
  • Part-Time On Campus
  • Part-Time Off Campus (international students may not work off-campus)

Start Job Search

1. Go to Workday

2. Click on the Menu in the top left corner

3. Click on the Jobs and Career Hub in the menu

4. Click on the Student Employment tab

5. Review and apply for available positions

6. Review the hiring department's website to get a better understanding of employment needs

Learn more about Workday

Resume & Job Searching Guidance

For assistance with creating a resume or other guidance with applying for jobs, contact Northeastern Employer Engagement & Career Design.

What is Work-Study?


Work-study funding is available to domestic undergraduate, graduate, and law school students who meet specific financial aid criteria.

Job Types

Part-time positions on campus or with an approved campus partner.


Submit financial aid application materials by the priority filing deadline to be considered for a work-study award.

Job Searching

If the student has been awarded Federal Work-Study, they can search and apply for jobs on Workday.


Work-study funding is part of a student’s financial aid package. As available positions are limited, we cannot guarantee that each student will secure a position.
The student is not obligated to work if they have been awarded Federal Work-Study; however, please note that if the student does not work, they will not be able to earn the award.
Funding is awarded on a semester-by-semester basis, and unused funding does not roll forward into future semesters. Each year, the student will have the opportunity to complete the financial aid application materials and request to be considered for work-study funding.

Pre-Hire Paperwork

1. Receive a job offer (Typically, students do not complete their pre-hire paperwork until they have received a job offer)

2. Complete I-9 Section 1 online through Workday

3. First time U.S. employees must apply for a Social Security Number

4. Present Supporting Documents at the Student Employment Office

5. Wait for processing to complete the I-9 Section 2 (Up to 3 business days)

Do you have questions regarding the Form I-9?


Please note that the student must present their own documentation; parents, guardians, or any other representatives are not permitted to submit documents on a student’s behalf.


For General Jobs

Pay Type
Maximum Hours
20 Hours Per Week (40 hours during official university break)
Hourly Wage
Depending on experience and position, at least the state minimum wage or above

For Work-Study

Pay Type
Maximum Hours
20 Hours Per Week
Hourly Wage
Depending on experience and position, at least the state minimum wage or above
Working Hours
Total Award Amount / Hourly Rate
Hours Per Week
Working Hours / Working Weeks in the Semester

Tax Information

The US tax system follows a “pay as you go” model, meaning that taxes are deducted from each paycheck.

For students working in the U.S., they will receive the W-2 Tax Form which summarizes the earnings and the taxes they have paid before Jan 31 each year. The student may access the W-2 tax documents from Workday.

The W-4 Form indicates how much in taxes will be withheld from their paycheck. The student will only be required to complete the form once after they have been hired, but they can not update it anytime they wish on Workday. Completing W-4 on Workday takes the place of the paper form and allows them to make any necessary changes electronically.

Learn more about tax forms

Steps to find W-2 Tax Form

Go to Workday → Menu → Pay → My Tax Documents → External Tax Documents

Steps for Updating W-4 Tax Information

Go to Workday → Menu → Pay → Withholding Elections → Update

Off-Campus Employment

With the exception of international students, domestic students can also pursue employment opportunities in the surrounding community. There are many jobs available off-campus in the greater Boston area. Northeastern University does not oversee the hiring or compensation for non-Work-Study, off-campus jobs. Instead, students will work directly with the employer through the hiring process, and the employer will pay students directly. If you need help with the job search, contact Northeastern Employer Engagement & Career Design.

Frequently Asked Questions

How can I apply for jobs?

Go to Workday → Menu → Jobs and Career Hub → Student Employment → Click on the on-campus jobs or off-campus jobs.

For co-op opportunities,  please check NUworks.

Why is my application automatically rejected?
Students may be rejected from a job if they are not qualified, or if another candidate was more suitable for the position. Hiring managers make the final hiring decision.

If you believe your applications are being rejected in error, please contact us.

When can new students apply for jobs?

Incoming students will be given access to Workday 20 days prior to the start of their program.

Am I allowed to start working while my I-9 documents are processing?
Students should not start working until their hire has been confirmed in Workday, to avoid any possible delay in pay if there are issues with the hire request or I-9 processing. 
I do not have my original documents for Section 2 of the Form I-9. Can I present a scan, picture or photocopy?

No, we can only accept the true, physical document. We cannot accept scans, pictures or photocopies of I-9 supporting documents.

I will not be on campus prior to my start date to submit my I-9 documents in person. Can I complete a remote I-9 or email the documents to you?
No, we cannot verify your I-9 supporting documents remotely. For the safety of your identity, please do not email scanned copies of your Section 2 documents. Please bring original documents to the Student Employment Office once you arrive. Our office will be open during move-in week.
How can I view my paystubs?

To view your this year's paystub history, go to Workday and search “My Payslip” in the search bar.

To access paystub history prior to this year, please navigate to Student Hub → Resources → Financial Services → Student Employee Self Service, and search “Pay Slips”.

Why am I unable to submit a timesheet?
Students are paid on a bi-weekly pay schedule. Every pay week, the timesheet will be temporarily locked for processing payroll. If you have trouble entering time, please try again on Friday. Make sure you enter your hours by 10 AM Sunday morning every week so you can get paid on time.
Can I keep my part-time job while going on Co-op?

If your Co-op position is on-campus, please make sure you receive approval from your Co--op advisor regarding any possible program restrictions and communicate closely with both your Co-op supervisor and part-time supervisor, and make sure they are aware of your other on-campus positions and hours entered. There will be overtime charges if your total hours (Co-op + part time) exceed 40.