Getting a Job On Campus

Students who have not received Federal Work-Study funding still have the opportunity to seek employment opportunities both on and off campus.

For positions on campus, students must apply specifically for positions which do not require work-study. Any student that applies for a Federal Work-Study position that was not awarded Federal Work-Study will not be considered for that position.

You can search for jobs by going to Workday and searching “Jobs and Career Hub” then selecting “Student Employment”. Search for part-time on and off campus jobs using any number of search criteria, apply for available positions, and review history of job positions and hiring to get a better understanding of the university’s student employment needs. You can find a more detailed guide for your job search in our Workday resources.

Pre-Hire Paperwork

Once you receive a job offer, you must complete the Form I-9 with our office. Both sections of the Form should be completed before your first day of work.

Section 1 of the I-9 form can be completed online via the Student Employment site.

To complete Section 2, you will be required to provide supporting documentation to an authorized Student Employment representative at 375 Richards Hall.

Allow up top 3 business days for our office to process your Form I-9.

If you have questions regarding the I-9 form, please email

Getting Paid

Direct Deposit

All on-campus student employees and all off-campus work-study student employees are required to enroll in direct deposit. To enroll in direct deposit, log into the Student Hub, select “My Links”, then “Student Financial Services”, then “Direct Deposit Form.” Paychecks will be deposited into the account you designate.


Student employees are paid at an hourly wage. Pay rates will vary depending on the level of experience, and the responsibilities for each position, but will always adhere to the state minimum wage. Please note that students conducting specialized research or highly-skilled work are typically paid at a higher rate.

If you have been awarded Federal Work-Study, which is a finite amount, your pay rate determines the number of hours that you are able to work.

Please note that students cannot work more than twenty hours per week during academic periods.

Pay Schedules

Student employees will be required to complete their timesheets and submit them, electronically, for approval in Workday via the Student Employment website.

If you are a semi-monthly paid research assistant or teaching fellow, you will receive your pay on the 15th and the last day of the month, provided the department you are working for has submitted your information before the payroll deadline.

If you are an hourly paid employee, you should submit your online timesheet to your supervisor each week that you work. The deadline for timesheets to be submitted to your supervisor is Sunday at 10:00 a.m. each week. Your supervisor is responsible for reviewing, approving, and forwarding your timesheets by Monday at 10:00 a.m.

Students are paid on a bi-weekly pay-schedule.


The W-4 Form indicates how much in taxes will be withheld from your paycheck. To provide this information, you’ll need to update your tax information via Workday. To do so, go into your applications and select the Pay app. Then select “Withholding Elections” and update the form. Please note that you will have access to the Pay app only after you’ve been hired. By completing this information on Workday, this takes place of the paper W-4 Form and allows you to make any necessary changes, electronically.

Learn more to access your 2022 W-2 online, starting January 31st, 2023.

On the Job

On-campus jobs are real, verifiable employment. On-campus employment is a great way to build your resume, and good performance may help you secure references for future employment.

You should show up on time to each shift and be ready to work. If you are not sure what work needs to be done, ask your supervisor. If you have ideas about how to improve a process, share them!

If you are going to be late, contact your supervisor to let them know. If you need to request time off or a change to your schedule, speak to your supervisor as soon as possible.

If you need to quit your job for any reason, let your supervisor know as soon as possible. Whenever possible, you should give your supervisor at least two weeks’ notice before your last day.

Report a Concern

If you have a concern related to your workplace, you can request to speak with a staff member to discuss your reporting options, or you can access the following resources directly:


Know Your Rights

Equal Opportunity Employment

Northeastern University is committed to providing a living, learning and working environment free of discrimination and harassment. This policy applies to all members of the university community, including students, faculty, staff, affiliates, and volunteers when acting on behalf of the university, whether on or off campus, as well as to contractors, parents, and visitors when they are on university property.

Read the full policy.

Reasonable Accommodation

Northeastern University (the “university”) recognizes that individuals may be entitled to reasonable accommodation in respect of a legally protected characteristic to participate in employment. The purpose of this policy is to meet requirements of applicable human rights legislation and to provide employees and applicants with reasonable accommodations as required by law.

Read the full policy.

Policy on Pregnancy & Pregnancy-Related Conditions

The university recognizes that employees who are pregnant or have a condition related to pregnancy may need a reasonable accommodation to have equally effective opportunities to participate in employment. The purpose of this policy is to meet requirements of the Massachusetts state anti-discrimination law and to provide employees with reasonable accommodations as required by applicable law.

Read the full policy.

Policy on Student Work Hours

  • Students may not work more than 20 hours per work while classes are in session. During university break periods, students may work up to 40 hours per week. Read the full policy.
  • Student workers may not work during their scheduled class times.
  • Massachusetts state law requires that an unpaid break of at least 30 minutes be taken after six consecutive hours of work.


Student employees must be compensated for their work in accordance with University pay range descriptions. Please select your campus location.

Boston, Massachusetts, U.S.

Seattle, Washington, U.S.

California, U.S.


MA Payment of Wages Law

The Massachusetts Payment of Wages Law specifies the timeline for when employees must be paid.


  • All hourly employees must be paid at least weekly or biweekly.
  • All employees must be paid within six days of the end of the pay period during which wages were earned.
  • If an employee resigns, the employer must pay for all hours worked on the next regular pay day following the end of employment. When an employer discharges an employee, it must pay the employee all wages owed on the day of termination.

Off-Campus Jobs

There are many jobs available off-campus in the greater Boston area. Northeastern University does not oversee the hiring or compensation for non-Work-Study, off-campus jobs. Instead, you will work directly with the employer through the hiring process, and your employer will pay you directly.

Be extremely cautious when applying for off-campus employment and remember that you should NEVER PAY for any type of employment opportunities.

A scammer will often:

  • Claim to be out of the country, or to be in the middle of an emergency situation
  • Send you a check before you have completed or started the work
  • Ask you to cash a check for them and send them back part of the money, or forward part of the money to someone else
  • Ask you to purchase gift cards and send them the card information
  • Ask you to purchase and mail items
  • Ask you to complete a wire transfer of funds
  • Ask for your credit card, banking information or Social Security Number

If any employer makes any of the above requests, please discontinue all correspondence with that employer and contact our office immediately.




Northeastern University and the Office of Student Employment, Graduate Assistantships & Fellowships are not responsible for the safety, wages, working conditions or other aspects of the off-campus employment.

The University does not screen employers who post job opportunities at the Student Employment Office, and by posting jobs NEU and the Office of Student Employment, Graduate Assistantships & Fellowships does not make any representation as to the working conditions that may exist at any place of employment.

Use of this system shall be entirely at the risk of the users hereof and the University expressly disclaims any and all liability with respect thereto.

Students, please be advised it is your responsibility to:

  • Research the integrity of the organizations to which you are applying.
  • Use caution and common sense when applying for any position with an organization, or private party.
  • Do not put yourself in a vulnerable situation. Even the best job opportunity is not worth jeopardizing your personal safety.
  • DO NOT PAY FOR ANY JOBS listed through our site.
  • Do not have anyone send you payment for you to repay or provide funds in the form of cash, credit, debit, gift card or alternate fund transfer.

Legitimate positions provide you with payment after you have worked and/or completed the job. Beware of scammers. If it seems too good to be true, do not take the position!

Report any suspicious employers / job postings to the Office of Student Employment, Graduate Assistantships & Fellowships & NUPD immediately.

Frequently Asked Questions

How can I apply for jobs?

Go to Workday and search “Jobs and Career Hub”, then select “Student Employment” and click on NU Find Student Jobs.

Why is my application automatically rejected?

Work-study jobs are only available to students who have been awarded work-study funding as part of their financial aid package. If an ineligible student applies to a work-study job, their application will be automatically rejected. If you are not eligible for work-study, you should use the filters to limit your job search to non-work-study jobs only.

Students may also be rejected from a job if they are not qualified, or if another candidate was more suitable for the position. Hiring managers make the final hiring decision.

If you believe your applications are being rejected in error, please contact us.

When can new students apply for jobs?

Most incoming students will be given access to Workday on December 20. If you still do not have access by then, we recommend double-checking that you have submitted all required documentation for enrollment in the University.

Thank you for your patience.  

How can I view my paystubs?

To view your 2022, paystub history go to Workday and search “My Payslip” in the search bar.

To access paystub history prior to 2022, please navigate to Student Hub –> My Links –> Financial Services –> Student Employee Self Service and search “Pay Slips”.

Why am I unable to submit a timesheet?

Students are paid on a bi-weekly pay schedule. Every pay week, the timesheet will be temporarily locked for processing payroll. If you have trouble entering time, please try again on Friday. Make sure you enter your hours by 10AM Sunday morning every week so you can get paid on time.

Can I keep my part-time job while going on CO-OP?

Yes, but if your CO-OP position is on-campus, please make sure you communicate closely with both your CO-OP supervisor and part-time supervisor, and make sure they are aware of your other on-campus positions and hours entered. There will be overtime charges if your total hours (CO-OP + part time) exceed 40.

I will not be on campus prior to my start date to submit my I-9 documents in person. Can I complete a remote I-9 or email the documents to you?

No, we cannot verify your I-9 supporting documents remotely. You will have to wait until you arrive on-campus before you can complete the process with our office. We cannot accept your supporting documents via email. For the safety of your identity, please do not email scanned copies of your Section 2 documents to anyone. 

I do not have my original documents. Can I present a scan, picture or photocopy?

No, we can only accept the true, physical document. We cannot accept scans, pictures or photocopies of I-9 supporting documents. 

Am I allowed to start working while my I-9 documents are processing?

Students should not start working until their hire has been confirmed in Workday, to avoid any possible delay in pay if there are issues with the hire request or I-9 processing.