On-Campus & Off-Campus Work-Study Employers

 

We are your resource for paid on-campus student employment and off-campus Work Study Co-op placements. If you’re looking for resources for employing recent grads, non-Work Study co-ops, or unpaid interns, contact Northeastern Employer Engagement & Career Design.

For staffing assistance, please contact the NU Student Temps program. For a small fee, the NU Student Temps staff sources, recruits, and screens candidates for you.

Pre-Hire Paperwork

The University is required to have an I-9 form completed for all student employees within three business days of their first day of work. Students must complete Section 1 of the Form I-9 through Workday. Then, they must present their original supporting document(s) in person to a Student Employment representative either in our office in Boston, or to an authorized representative on their satellite campus.

List of Acceptable Documents

Once they have presented the supporting document(s), Section 2 of the I-9 is completed by our office. At that time, you will be able to submit a hire request for the student employee. Until you are able to submit this request, you should not allow the student to work for you.

SSN Update for F1 & J1 Students

As of April 25th, 2022, students who have been offered an on-campus job must obtain an campus emplyment letter from OGS and apply for an SSN prior to visiting the Office of Student Employment, Graduate Assistantships & Fellowships. Please allow additional time for F1 and J1 students to complete the SSN application process before starting work. Please refer to the handouts for more information.

Information for  F1 and J1 students.

Confidentiality

Any student who may have access to confidential information should complete a Confidentiality Agreement.

Hire Dates

Undergraduate / Graduate

FALL 2021: September 5, 2021 – December 18, 2021

SPRING 2022: January 2, 2022 – April 30, 2022

IMPORTANT REMINDER: Student employees are paid on a biweekly payroll schedule! Please see our student payroll dates and plan accordingly.

2021 Student Payroll Dates

2022 Student Payroll Dates

Compliance

Policy on Student Work Hours

Students may not work more than 20 hours per work while classes are in session. During university break periods, students may work up to 40 hours per week.

Student workers may not work during their scheduled class times.

Massachusetts state law requires that an unpaid break of at least 30 minutes be taken after six consecutive hours of work.

Student Employee Wages & Timely Payments

Student employees must be compensated for their work in accordance with University pay range descriptions.

2022 Pay Range Descriptions

Supervisors are responsible for ensuring timely payments for students. To ensure timely payments, follow these steps:

    1. Before a student begins work, notify them of the Form I-9 requirement.
    2. Instruct the student to complete both sections of the Form I-9 within 3 business days of their first day of work.
    3. Once the Form I-9 is processed, enter the student’s hire.
    4. Review and approve the student’s timesheets every week by 10AM on Monday.
MA Payment of Wages Law

The Massachusetts Payment of Wages Law specifies the timeline for when employees must be paid.

  • All hourly employees must be paid at least weekly or biweekly.
  • All employees must be paid within six days of the end of the pay period during which wages were earned.
  • If an employee resigns, the employer must pay for all hours worked on the next regular pay day following the end of employment. When an employer discharges an employee, it must pay the employee all wages owed on the day of termination.
Equal Opportunity Employment

Northeastern University is committed to providing a living, learning and working environment free of discrimination and harassment. This policy applies to all members of the university community, including students, faculty, staff, affiliates, and volunteers when acting on behalf of the university, whether on or off campus, as well as to contractors, parents, and visitors when they are on university property.

Read the full policy.

Reasonable Accommodation

Northeastern University (the “university”) recognizes that individuals may be entitled to reasonable accommodation in respect of a legally protected characteristic to participate in employment. The purpose of this policy is to meet requirements of applicable human rights legislation and to provide employees and applicants with reasonable accommodations as required by law.

Read the full policy.

Policy on Pregnancy and Pregnancy-Related Conditions

The university recognizes that employees who are pregnant or have a condition related to pregnancy may need a reasonable accommodation to have equally effective opportunities to participate in employment. The purpose of this policy is to meet requirements of the Massachusetts state anti-discrimination law and to provide employees with reasonable accommodations as required by applicable law.

Read the full policy.

Co-op Placements

We are your resource for on-campus co-op and off-campus Work Study co-op placements. If you’re looking for resources for non-Work Study off-campus co-ops, contact Northeastern Employer Engagement & Career Design.

 

Off-Campus Work Study

Contract Process

Northeastern University partners with many non-profit organizations who hire Northeastern work-study students for both part-time and work-study funded full-time co-op positions. To become an off-campus work-study employer with Northeastern a contract must be established. Each contract must be established in order to become an off-campus work-study employer. Each contract has terms of reimbursement that require the employer to be accountable for a portion of the student’s wages. Although work-study is a part of the student’s financial aid package, the terms of the work-study funds allocated to the University require that these contracts be established for off-campus use.

The first step in the off-campus work-study contract process is for the agency to submit an off-campus work-study contract application.

Work-Study Contract Application Form

To submit the application the agency must also include:

  • A copy of the I.R.S. Form 501 (c) (3)
  • A description of the agency
  • A description of the position(s) to be filled by the work-study student(s)
  • A copy of the completed application form
Reimbursement Process

What are the reimbursement percentages and how are they determined?

  • Community Service based organizations are required to reimburse 10% of student’s wages plus an additional 2.37% for workman’s compensation a total of 12.37%
  • Non-community service-based organizations are required to reimburse the University 25% of the students wages plus an additional 2.37% for workman’s compensation a total of 27.37%

Sample Reimbursement Breakdown:

Reimbursement percentage 10%: $14.25/hr, 10 hours/week, 4 weeks/month

$14.25 x 10 x 4 = $570

$570 x 12.37% = $70.51

 

Reimbursement percentage 25%: $14.25/hr, 10 hours/week, 4 weeks/month

$14.25 x 10 x 4 = $570

$570 x 27.37% = $156.01

How do we reimburse the University?

Off-campus work-study agencies are billed on a monthly basis for the previous month. (i.e. student work completed in January will be billed in February). The student will be paid 100% of their wages every week, and agencies are then billed the following month based on the reimbursement percentage established with the contract.

Responsibility

Northeastern will be responsible for:

    • Processing student Form I9 and other work authorization documents.
    • Finalizing the contract process and establishing the agency as an offcampus workstudy employer on the Student Employment site.
    • Helping train and onboard offcampus employers to the Student Employment site.
    • Weekly payroll processing and payment of student weekly wages.
    • Processing bills for agency reimbursement.

Your agency will be responsible for:

    • Negotiating hourly wage with student employees. Our office does not require offcampus agencies to pay students a certain amount, however, we make sure students are being paid at least minimum wage ($14.25) and that the wage the student is making is appropriate based on the work the student is performing.
    • Providing a safe work environment.
    • Approving weekly timesheets submitted by students.
    • Reimbursing Northeastern based on monthly invoice amounts.